Healthy New Year
Tips for 2016
Learn how you can live a safer and healthier life:
- Protect yourself from injury or disease by wearing a helmet, sunscreen, or insect repellent when necessary.
- Make an appointment for a check-up, vaccination, or screening .
- Wash your hands often with soap and water to prevent the spread of infection and illness.
- Learn health tips that take 5 minutes or less.
- Make healthy food choices. Grab a healthy snack.
- Be active to improve overall health. Try simple things such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Consider mall walking if the weather is cold or icy. Be active for at least 2½ hours a week.
- Be smokefree. If you are ready to quit, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) or 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569 for Spanish speakers) for free resources, including free quit coaching, a free quit plan, free educational materials, and referrals to other resources where you live. Need inspiration? Check out these videos from the Tips From Former Smokers campaign.
- Get enough sleep. Remember that sleep is a necessity, not a luxury.
- Learn how to be healthy before, during, and after pregnancy.
- Reduce auto-related injuries by using seat belts, child safety seats, and booster seats that are appropriate for your child's age and weight.
- Learn positive parenting tips to keep teens safe on the road.
- Lower the risk of foodborne illness as you prepare meals for your family.
- Gather and share family health history.
- Get pets vaccinated and keep pets healthy.
Source: Public Health Newswire/CDC article, December 28, 2015